coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house
??????, ??, ??????

常見問題常見問題   搜尋搜尋   會員列表會員列表   會員群組會員群組   會員註冊會員註冊 
 個人資料個人資料   登入檢查您的私人訊息登入檢查您的私人訊息   登入登入 

Barista Jam, Sheung Wan
前往頁面 1, 2  下一頁

發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ???
上一篇主題 :: 下一篇主題  
發表人 內容
boblam
Site Admin

註冊時間: 2007-05-04
文章: 294

發表發表於: 星期五 三月 12, 2010 1:49 pm    文章主題: Barista Jam, Sheung Wan 引言回覆

Finally drop by this place which the barista told me opened for one month

Very good cappuccino, probably the best on HK side, surpassing my second favorite Cafe Corridor on milk drink. Using La Marzocco GB5 two heads, I think.

Also, this is the first time I can appreciate how the good acidity in milk drink tastes like, as most Sydney people has been talked about for a long time.

The Capp reminds me of Coco Espresso but much better overall, ie more velvety, better espresso much through and perfect acidity blend with milk.. Like what you read!!!

Both ristretto I had were still lagged in term of body, ie no syrupy body consistency.

The one with Danes' Caribbean Blend was quite smooth, reminding me of the famous Intelligentsia Black Cat. However, it didn't open up well like Black Cat, kinda faded away without much flavor. The barista told me it's a "lady" coffee and I agree. According to barista, the bean was roasted three weeks ago and air freight to Hong Kong.

The other ristretto with its own blend of Colombia, Harrar and Brazil was much more open and has a better mouthfeel. Locally roasted bean by local roaster was within 2 weeks vs. barista's sweet spot of three weeks. This one also comes very close to Coco Espresso but much tastier. FYI, Coco is a blend of Colombia, Harrar, Brazil and Sumatra, correct me if I'm wrong.

I had Peru FTO french press too. Not my coffee though it's good, quite clean. Notice some oil on the surface of the bean.

Overall, very good and highly recommended for a visit, particularly milk drink though I prefer the velvety and nice texture of milk drinks from Crema Coffee much more.

Cake/pastry offering is similar to Felix's Cafe Corridor.

The barista was a nice guy and I enjoyed talking coffee with him. Not the same warm like Johnson at Coco but very good. Quite attentive to the coffee he threw away some espresso when making those drinks for me.

The hours is better than Coco, ie from 8AM-8PM.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boris

註冊時間: 2007-04-10
文章: 154

發表發表於: 星期五 三月 12, 2010 2:09 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

I guess I'm already a regular there, pretty much hooked on the coffee talks I had with William, the barista and the owner of this coffee place.
William's vast knowledge and approach in making coffee made this place serving almost the best espresso you can get from a cafe in Hong Kong in my opinion.
benbenchai

註冊時間: 2006-06-24
文章: 265

發表發表於: 星期一 三月 15, 2010 8:50 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

?????????, ????... Razz
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息 發送電子郵件
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期一 三月 15, 2010 6:16 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

I dropped by Saturday morning and thanks boris for Square Mile's Winter Espresso blend... Tons of marmalade jam flavor in the cup, proving that William, the barista, is capable of pulling a god shot. If I remember correctly, I see some tiger speck in one of the cups. Unfortunately, I need to leave before the adjustment was done.

I was back again in the afternoon, hoping for another shots of this marmalade laden blend but the barista pulled it out, saying the bean needs some rest for couple of days, according to James Hoffman's suggestion.

Boy, it would be perfect if he left it there, making me guess what it will be like if William uses a fresher bean for his current blends. He said the freshly roasted bean needed to rest for a while to avoid the 'forward' taste. However, I like this 'forward' taste so much... Well, gotta respect his opinion...

I packed up my disappointment and dropped by Landy and Shing on my way home. Well, Shing never failed to surprise me and again gave me one of the best espressos. This time it is from one of the machine I liked and was very impressed when I had it in Taipei, Synesso Cyncra. Layers of tastes with a syrupy finish similar to what I had at Barista Jam's GB5 when they pull Hoffman's bean but much clearer and cleaner from Synesso. I have no idea why any cafe would not be interested in this great machine with rock solid temp and an unmatched clarity in the cup. I'm waiting and hoping someone will pick it up soon.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boris

發表發表於: 星期二 三月 16, 2010 12:57 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

boblam 寫到:
I dropped by Saturday morning and thanks boris for Square Mile's Winter Espresso blend... Tons of marmalade jam flavor in the cup, proving that William, the barista, is capable of pulling a god shot. If I remember correctly, I see some tiger speck in one of the cups. Unfortunately, I need to leave before the adjustment was done.

I was back again in the afternoon, hoping for another shots of this marmalade laden blend but the barista pulled it out, saying the bean needs some rest for couple of days, according to James Hoffman's suggestion.

Boy, it would be perfect if he left it there, making me guess what it will be like if William uses a fresher bean for his current blends. He said the freshly roasted bean needed to rest for a while to avoid the 'forward' taste. However, I like this 'forward' taste so much... Well, gotta respect his opinion...

I packed up my disappointment and dropped by Landy and Shing on my way home. Well, Shing never failed to surprise me and again gave me one of the best espressos. This time it is from one of the machine I liked and was very impressed when I had it in Taipei, Synesso Cyncra. Layers of tastes with a syrupy finish similar to what I had at Barista Jam's GB5 when they pull Hoffman's bean but much clearer and cleaner from Synesso. I have no idea why any cafe would not be interested in this great machine with rock solid temp and an unmatched clarity in the cup. I'm waiting and hoping someone will pick it up soon.

Bob,

Nice meeting you there! too bad i didnt knew that it was you Razz and thanks for your info about black cat in toronto!

Right after you left, William pulled one shot that I thought this is it, a lot more mamalade (not on the nose as the tasting said thou..) sweetness. Cant waiit the beans matured to J.H.'s recommended 7-16 day sweet zone.

Regarding Synessos, as far as i remember, William told me he initially wanted this too, but the lack of support and parts (in Hong Kong) put him off and opted for the GB5.
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期三 三月 17, 2010 2:04 pm    文章主題: support and parts a main issue? 引言回覆

boris 寫到:
Regarding Synessos, as far as i remember, William told me he initially wanted this too, but the lack of support and parts (in Hong Kong) put him off and opted for the GB5.

Hmm. There are two espresso machines in the shop. While the other is Orchetral or something, I think it should work fine if bad things happen. Also, I doubt whether cafe in HK served as high a volume as those in Australia/Italy...

To me, there is always the play suppliers used to their advantages and this is a fair game. However, I doubt whether any well designed professional machine can easily break down and need such a regular maintenance so much so that the owner/operator of the shop cannot do it himself. Besides, the US website of Synesso indicated a support via phone. If the machine was not good, I dont think the company can last this long (since 2003 OTOH) and famous despite no hands-on service.

I think Synesso was designed with that in mind but usually the fear of unknown has its day so I respect Barista Jam's decision. Nevertheless, thats one loss of opportunity for us coffee lover to enjoy the upper echelon of coffee. Sad
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期一 三月 22, 2010 1:03 pm    文章主題: Square Mile's Winter Espresso at Barista Jam 引言回覆

Let me break the news here since nobody posts on this one and I don't want anybody to miss this coffee on the condition that they don't know it.

Barista Jam now offered Square Mile's Winter Espresso Monday to Saturday from 3-7PM, aka James Hoffman's roaster, I believe.

This Winter Espresso was one of the best I've ever had vs. Paul Bassett's blend and Intelli's Black Cat. Ton of Marmalade (but most said it's apricot.. Very Happy)

However, updose and airfreight made it more expensive than its regular offering but worth every dollar and cent.

Roasted on March 8, I believe. Boris, can you confirm this?

Also, available while supplies last.

Hurried up!
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
alexfan

註冊時間: 2008-09-18
文章: 266

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 15, 2010 6:43 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

I finally had a chance to try a cup (glass) of latte there. It is great! Seems to be the best cafe on the Island side.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 15, 2010 12:39 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

alexfan 寫到:
I finally had a chance to try a cup (glass) of latte there. It is great! Seems to be the best cafe on the Island side.

Do they have any special offering like special espresso blend when you visited the place?
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
alexfan

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 15, 2010 3:59 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

boblam 寫到:
alexfan 寫到:

Do they have any special offering like special espresso blend when you visited the place?

It is there Hse blend, Columbia + Brazil + Harra
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
littlelittle

註冊時間: 2006-04-04
文章: 1725

發表發表於: 星期一 五月 17, 2010 1:00 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

I was there this morning, after a meeting nearby.

Well, I think it's the first cafe I can really recommend to friends. Very good latte, with good texture of milk foam and reasonable espresso base. I will try the espresso next time (I had a cup of espresso and latte before left my home to work this morning).

Barista William is a lovely guy, with remarkable smile all the time.

Funny accident when I was there, a light bulb explose and the inner part of the cafe was darkened. Haha~~

Sheng Wan is a nice place that we can find so many good food in this area. Unluckily it was a little bit far away from me, I'm a northern N.T.-ese ...

alexfan

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 22, 2010 8:18 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

Make sure not to go on Sunday - they close
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boris

發表發表於: 星期三 五月 26, 2010 1:23 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

alexfan 寫到:
Make sure not to go on Sunday - they close

they open sunday now Smile
phillip

註冊時間: 2006-10-31
文章: 417

發表發表於: 星期三 六月 02, 2010 1:39 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

????!~!
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息 發送電子郵件 MSN Messenger
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 六月 12, 2010 10:45 pm    文章主題: Mecca Espresso of Sydney's Dark Horse Blend 引言回覆

Barista Jam is probably the most adventurous among HK cafe now.

A "special guest blend", roasted on May 26, which should last another week. Ton of nice citrusy acidity though the finish was next to nothing. Nice pull too with lots of tiger flecks. In all, very difficult to find this kind of tasting notes in Hong Kong on espresso. It is interesting to try.

You can follow his future new "special offering blend" on his facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barista-Jam-Hong-Kong/409097390751

His house blend changed a bit by adding Sumatra in there. Nice finishing but so so for the rest.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
從之前的文章開始顯示:   
發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ??? 所有的時間均為 台灣時間 (GMT + 8 小時)
前往頁面 1, 2  下一頁
1頁(共2頁)

前往:  
無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票