coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house
??????, ??, ??????

常見問題常見問題   搜尋搜尋   會員列表會員列表   會員群組會員群組   會員註冊會員註冊 
 個人資料個人資料   登入檢查您的私人訊息登入檢查您的私人訊息   登入登入 

Cafe in Bangkok
前往頁面 1, 2, 3  下一頁

發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ?????
上一篇主題 :: 下一篇主題  
發表人 內容
boblam
Site Admin

註冊時間: 2007-05-04
文章: 294

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 9:44 pm    文章主題: Cafe in Bangkok 引言回覆

I put up all these notes, which I previously posted elsewhere as I believe this webboard could cater to a wider audience of coffee lovers. Comment/criticisms are all welcome and hope these notes are helpful to you when you happen to be in the area. I only post a positive comment as I don't feel well during the trip and want to give the benefit of the doubt to these cafes. From what I know, they are in the forefront of Indie cafe in Bangkok.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 9:58 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 9:52 pm    文章主題: El Mello 引言回覆

Cafe name: El Mello

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bangkok-Thailand/El-Mello-Caffeine-is-not-gonna-hurt-you/154358631266138

1st Floor Thai Summit Tower, New Petchburi Rd. Bangkok, Thailand, 10310
Phone: 66 2 652 8575 #117 (10/17/10 Update, I think they can speak some English, particularly the lady at the counter)

Operating hour: Monday to Friday 8:00am-5:30pm

Date of visit: July 30, 2010

A must drop by for an Indie cafe in Thailand. The location was not its forte you will need to walk about 500m (5-10 minutes) if you come by MRT. By taxi, that area is considered one of the most jam in Bangkok so good luck if you try it in the afternoon... For more picture, see here http://vudh.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/el-mello-espressobar/

boblam 在 星期日 十月 17, 2010 10:10 am 作了第 2 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 9:57 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 2 引言回覆

El Mello, a must try Indie cafe in Bangkok. I'm not feeling well that day so I will give the benefit of the doubt, ie on comment on the one that tastes good.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 9:59 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 3 引言回覆

Dalle Corte + Anfim Super Caimano Titanium... Surprisingly very clean cup, reminding me of LM GS/3 and Synesso though with a lighter body which is good for showing off nuances in the coffee.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:22 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:01 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 4 引言回覆

My cappuccino. Good texture.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:22 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:05 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 5 引言回覆

House blend espresso with robusta in the blend. Its house blend espresso was rather interesting. Blended by the barista himself, Khun Po (pronounce more like ? in cantonese) is an ex-Sweet Guilt barista.

This is more of an Indie style coffee with some nice exotic flowery aroma and expertly pulled with a nice tiger fleck, a good pull indeed. However, you need to get pass through the stuffy hit at the first few sips which some may turn it down almost right away. This house blend has a cost in mind.

The reason is the robusta in its blend to reduce cost for the milk drink. There is Thai coffee as a base (Thai coffee was considered inferior in taste and lower in price) with robusta from Uganda for that exotic and stuffy note and Sumatra for the body. Even though I dont like robusta in my coffee, this one wasnt too bad and I dont feel much of the caffeine effect.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:21 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:07 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 6 引言回覆

Cookie to cut down the effect of caffeine. Quite sweet which seemed to be typical for Thai taste profile but neither good nor bad.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:21 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:11 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 7 引言回覆

Its single origin offering from Mr. Lee in Khon Khen, Northeastern Thailand (previously an agent of Clover). The other SO is Yirgachaffe which I had one too many at the time.

For "Clover lover", here's the info of Mr. Lee
http://www.misterlees.com/index.php

......Here's how to contact the guy
http://www.misterlees.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=eaeefd1336be1d331206c1cda2fe0b4f

The shop is in Northeastern Thailand, approximately 7 hour drive or you could take a plane there.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:12 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 8 引言回覆

I opted against the recommended espresso/americano and capp for Clever Dripper. The grinder for special offering is Mahlkoenig/Baratza Vario
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:13 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 9 引言回覆

The resulting cup. It was just so so with a usual smoky note that seemed to be synonymous with the coffee from this country. The rest was mostly smooth but nothing is quite memorable. Maybe I should try this one as an espresso. Next time.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:15 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 10 引言回覆

Now, this is a star. Timeless blend, a special offering from Bangkok Espresso Lab (bkksprolab.com). IIRC, I had this blend couple time before, at the old Sweet Guilt and at its roaster. The one at Sweet Guilt was a bit better than horrible, bitter, sour (not acidity). The second one at its roaster was much better and pulled from Speester and Anfim Super Caimano Titanium. However, it was way too round for me the flavor wasnt a clear cut and the roaster and the barista, same person, told me thats the way he likes it.

Only this time at this El Mello I can only say that this blend has lots of potential. I can taste a Indie style, nice orange peel and fruit acidity. Even the grinder is Malkoenig/Baratza Vario, the shot was great, with layer of tastes and the last syrupy finish with a nice aftertaste though I wish it could be longer. A beautiful reddish brown with tiger flecks crema to boot. Seemed it was pull a bit too long (I saw some blonding) but this seemed to be a norm in Bangkok. Good job Barista Po indeed you can realize the potential of this blend better than the roaster himself. If you can only have one coffee, this is the one to try.[/img]
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:18 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 11 引言回覆

Large window helps bring sunlight to brighten up the cafe. Quite hard to get for Indie cafe whose location was quite limited as the mall management typically prefers a brandname/anchor tenant like Starbucks.

Nevertheless, I was told that after El Mello opened, the business at the nearby Starbucks dropped significantly. Hope this will be the trend as Starbucks will fight back and at the end of the day benefits us all coffee lovers.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:19 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 12 引言回覆

From my seat at the counter looking out. The wallpaper wasn't my style but somehow it works well with the creamy tone of the shop.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:20 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:20 pm    文章主題: El Mello page 13 引言回覆

Hallway going into the shop. Barista told me that the business at the nearby Starbucks dropped considerably after El Mello opened. I thought I'll be the only there at the time (3PM in the afternoon) but the shop was quite busy all the way I couldn't really talk for long with barista. Way to go!

To me, this El Mello is the place you should drop by in Bangkok for good coffee even though it was quite out of the way for most tourists in Bangkok. Too bad, the café closed on Saturday and Sunday and opens on work days and work hours, ie 8-4:30PM and it wasnt quite close to MRT station too.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:30 pm    文章主題: Seat2Cup Coffee Page 1 引言回覆

Cafe name: Seat2Cup Coffee

Location: 111 G floor Charn Issara Tower 2 New Petchburi, Bangkok Tel: 086 316 6629
Email: vudh@seat2cup.com
Operating hour: Monday to Friday 6:30AM - 6:30 PM

Date of visit: July 30, 2010

Another nice place, run by a very nice guy, Khun Vudh, a owner and master roaster who is quite active in the Indie scene in Thailand. (Khun = Mr. in English as Thai typically go by first name. Call people by last name sounds really strange).

My understanding is that Khun Vudh also serves other customers, ie hotels etc. for his roasted coffee too. From my correspondence with him (I've never met him personally), it would be nice to talk coffee with him if you happen to catch the guy. You can see the roaster in action here

http://www.seat2cup.com/blog/2010/06/seat2cup-roasting/

Its location is perfect to do a cafe crawl with El Mello (see an earlier post) as it's on the same road though you need a taxi/car to go to Seat2cup, which is inside an office building further up north from El Mello. If you like a traditional style coffee, this is the place.

boblam 在 星期日 九月 05, 2010 10:34 pm 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
從之前的文章開始顯示:   
發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ????? 所有的時間均為 台灣時間 (GMT + 8 小時)
前往頁面 1, 2, 3  下一頁
1頁(共3頁)

前往:  
無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票