coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house
??????, ??, ??????

常見問題常見問題   搜尋搜尋   會員列表會員列表   會員群組會員群組   會員註冊會員註冊 
 個人資料個人資料   登入檢查您的私人訊息登入檢查您的私人訊息   登入登入 

Coava DISK and Aeropress
前往頁面 1, 2, 3  下一頁

發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ??????
上一篇主題 :: 下一篇主題  
發表人 內容
boblam
Site Admin

註冊時間: 2007-05-04
文章: 294

發表發表於: 星期五 一月 28, 2011 12:36 am    文章主題: Coava DISK and Aeropress 引言回覆

I had it today at Barista Jam.

It's the first time I felt filtered coffee not make by me tasted really outstanding. Not many time I'm so excited about filtered coffee. This is one of the rare case.

The cup profile is like french press, ie body dominant, but the tasting note was so clear I thought I had blueberry at the same time. The cup also reminds me of coffee from Clover brewing system.

Coava DISK is expensive but I'll be getting one for sure.

http://coava.myshopify.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 一月 29, 2011 12:48 am    文章主題: Coava DISK + Aeropress + Ethiopia Amaro Gayo at Barista Jam 引言回覆

When I read about Coava's KONE, I thought to myself "BIG DEAL". I never had a good experience with metal drip coffee before so I'm not thrilled about news, thinking that those Indie helps each other out to sell the $$$ 'novelty' thing.

Further permutation of the product gives me a pause. Despite recently launched, the DISK garnered mostly positive comments with almost no reservation. I'm intrigued but still doubt whether my experience with Aeropress which this expensive filter was supposed to accompany will be any good.

Boy, how wrong I was.

This is the first time filtered coffee really make a meaningful difference, making me long for even hours after drinking it, rivalling or beating all espresso I had in the past, let alone all filtered coffee which never really stick to my mind.

Coava DISK is a metal filter to be used with Aeropress. The hole is photochemically etched which looks very even to my naked eye.

The DISK was invented in Portland, Oregon by Coava and made in Ohio. I believe lots of experiment and the craftmanship added up so one gotta pay for it. The DISK was listed at US$15 a piece, quite steep for this kind of stuff that can be produced much less expensive in this part of the world.

The one that Barista Jam used is the first version which is now called 010. Its current product line offered a smaller hole size called 008 which was supposed to give a cleaner cup.

Barita Jam chose to go with a "inverted method" which seemed to be synonymous with Aeropress for now

However, the brewing parameter was quite close to Aeropress recommendation, ie lower temp, short steep time and press vs. what Coava suggested on its website which is more of a drip coffee, ie no press but let gravity do the work like drip coffee

After the Aeropress was reverted back. It was pressed all the way with quite an even force.

The picture didn't show how happy Mr. BJ loves to play with Aeropress... Smile

The coffee used is Ethiopia Amaro Gayo from Social Coffee Company, probably the best roaster on Canadian East Coast. Thanks Boris for his effort in carrying this great coffee to this part of the world.

I try to show the surface of the coffee in the cup which has lots of coffee oil on the surface.

Blueberry was so clear and easy to get I was flabbergasted I am having my usual blueberry yogurt with my first sip of this coffee when it was still hot.

After it was cool down a bit, I sense some 'dirtiness' in the cup that Mr. BJ warned/talked about.

Nevertheless, the blueberry tasting note which was not only so real but last for hours even I'm back from Barista Jam for more than couples of hours, beating all experience I had with espresso "aftertaste" and, for sure, all filtered coffee I had in the past including those made by me.

As if this wasn't good enough, when I look at the tasting note, this is the first I get exactly what it was written with ease. You don't really need to look hard it was right there. Great brewing method indeed.

The overall cup profile is more like french press but it was clean and not murky at all. The other hallmark of french press is body which was right there in the cup but, unlike French press, it doesn't interfere with delicate nuance of the cup.

In fact, the tastiness of the cup reminded me of Clover. No wonder Aeropress was called "Poor man Clover".

Despite all this, the most important is that this is the first time filtered coffee outside my home beats me at my own game. No, I am not the best filtered coffee makers around but the 'incremental' difference, be it better or worse, never really crossed my mind about the way I make coffee. The pairing of Coava DISK and Aeropress is the first time I think long and hard about my coffee at home so much so I asked Mr. BJ to get one for me if he happens to order more on the spot. I was known to typically think long and hard in getting any new equipment due to space limit... But with the taste profile like this, I wouldn't miss it for the world.. That's how good this filter is... Serious!!!

Mr. BJ offered the other cup of the same coffee with its default paper filter. I had the Aeropress coffee before via Felix of Coffee Assembly and Cafe Corridor and I expect a smooth cup.

It was as expected. All the intensity I get from the Coava DISK was gone... It was there but was just a regular normal filtered coffee I grew to expect from this artisanal cafe. Good but not memorable nor great. I would jump in with this kind of taste couple years back but not any more.

One interesting thing is that I can still see the coffee oil in the cup. This was a big deal as most paper filter will trap oil, resulting in a clean, clear but less tasty cup that we're all used to.

The bottom of the cup shows a distinct difference of steel and paper filter. The Coava DISK has more sediment but nowhere as much as I got from French press even I use a non-press method.

The paper filtered one also has some sediment too but much less.

While you see the 'soot' in the cup from Coava DISK, it won't interfere one much.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
alexfan

註冊時間: 2008-09-18
文章: 266

發表發表於: 星期六 一月 29, 2011 7:42 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

Sounds very good. Where can I find Aeropress and the metal filter in Hong Kong, or I need to mail order ?

From the website, the disk has two size of hole 080 or 010, which one you tried?

Alex
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 一月 29, 2011 9:25 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

010 is original and that's what I try
008 is new I just learned it couple days ago
I only tried it from William at Barista Jam so I don't know where to get it in Hong Kong.
You can try the coffee first to see how it tastes like before you buy it as it's not cheap.
BTW, no way to justify it vs. paper filter at all on the cost. The taste and environment are what you get
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
SoloC

註冊時間: 2008-04-25
文章: 76

發表發表於: 星期六 一月 29, 2011 9:44 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

Hey, what time when you were there? I pay a visit yesterday around 4-5pm. I had a Sidamo Espresso and a Latte. Both of them are very good. Also the Batista is very friendly.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息 MSN Messenger
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 一月 29, 2011 11:24 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

The pictures were taken on Thursday.

Sidamo espresso was good both press and espresso itself though Mr. BJ thinks the end is not quite clean.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
bigtrumpet

註冊時間: 2010-05-19
文章: 300

發表發表於: 星期三 二月 16, 2011 10:54 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

review from sweetmarias:

What I noticed was that it produced a clean cup, without too much sediment that can distract from the cup flavors and add bitterness in the aftertaste. (There are some very insignificant solids found in the bottom of the cup, but nowhere near as much as a French Press, or coffee brewed with Swissgold brand filters).

回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
alexfan

發表發表於: 星期四 二月 17, 2011 8:38 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

Anyone interested to buy a Coava Disk 008 from US or Canada?
I will place order soon.
The price will be around US 15-16 or CAN 16 depends on which store could ship with less expensive Airmail envelope shipping.

The expecting price of postage would be around 5 US dollars (my estimation) and expecting delivery time will be around 2 to 3 weeks.

So the expected total price for one disk if we buy 3 in total will be around (3 x 16 + 5 ) /3 = roundup = USD 17.5 (HKD $136) per one.

if you are interested, give me a PM by this Friday.

Alex
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
alexfan

發表發表於: 星期日 二月 20, 2011 10:22 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

I have finally orderred from Elysian Coffee
The total cost is CAN $20.06 (including tax and shipping).

Coava Roaster do not accept international order.

Alex
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boris

註冊時間: 2007-04-10
文章: 154

發表發表於: 星期三 三月 23, 2011 9:35 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

008 disk is here finally.

Barista Jam is carrying a limited amount of 008 coava disk at the moment. Being an aeropress lover and preacher I HAVE TO get one.

We did a side by side comparison of 008 and 010, and the result is as expected. 008 is like a midpoint between 010 and paper (closer to 010 imho)

I still like paper for the ease of cleaning.
Wink
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期三 三月 23, 2011 10:53 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

@Boris, thank for the great post and picture.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
tnpatton

註冊時間: 2010-03-26
文章: 25

發表發表於: 星期日 三月 27, 2011 3:05 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

Very cool pictures and description. I just bought an Aeropress but cannot get a good tasting coffee.

What brewing parameters do you guys recommend?
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 三月 27, 2011 3:22 am    文章主題: 引言回覆

tnpatton 寫到:
Very cool pictures and description. I just bought an Aeropress but cannot get a good tasting coffee.

What brewing parameters do you guys recommend?

Long time no talk.. Smile

From what I was told and remember, 2x updose (10% w/w), 90C (could be lower), 15 second, drip grind with Coava DISK, inverted and warm up the aeropress.

I don't like the paper one, just OK but not memorable to me.

Also, have you tried this one?
http://coava.myshopify.com/blogs/news/2429072-inverted-aeropress-disk-method
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
KBL

註冊時間: 2008-04-08
文章: 42

發表發表於: 星期日 三月 27, 2011 4:57 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

Great post, bob!
I just got my DISK from Barista Jam and can't wait to get back to office tomorrow and try it out!
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boris

註冊時間: 2007-04-10
文章: 154

發表發表於: 星期日 三月 27, 2011 5:03 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

I usually do it like this -

Inverted the Aeropress, preheat, 1:13 to 1:10, 80-87c water (depend on beans), 30-45s infusion time and press.

similay to BJ's method.

all the variables depends on beans and luck Razz
從之前的文章開始顯示:   
發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ?????? 所有的時間均為 台灣時間 (GMT + 8 小時)
前往頁面 1, 2, 3  下一頁
1頁(共3頁)

前往:  
無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票